WHY SHOULD YOU EAT VEGAN YOGURT?
Unlike traditional yogurts, vegan yogurts do not contain lactose, which eliminates the problems for those who are lactose intolerant. Also, they contain less sugar and no fat.
Vegan yogurts can be made with different substances (soy, almonds or coconut), so the nutritional benefits vary depending on the type of yogurt.
Also, there are numerous studies that explain the harmful effect dairy has in our bodies, apart from supporting an animal abuse industry.
As common characteristics to all vegan yogurts, we can say that their fermented and probiotic sugars are mild to the stomach. Vegan yogurts help regulate the digestive system ,since they provide a large number of healthy bacteria.
I recommend choosing the vegan yogurts with no added sugars and fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
BLUEBERRIES ARE THE ULTIMATE DETOX FRUIT
Blueberries are low in calories and rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
Also, they are considered one of the healthiest fruits because they prevent cardiovascular diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, diabetes and cancer. In addition, blueberries help lower cholesterol, improve our defenses and brain activity, and are beneficial for the skin and hair.
- You will know that the yogurt loaf is ready when it is slightly golden on the outside. To check if it is done, insert a toothpick in the center and check how it comes out. If it comes out clean, it will be ready. If it comes out with pieces of dough, it needs to be cooked a bit more!
- You can replace the blueberries with any other berries, such as raspberries or blackberries.
- It is possible to freeze the yogurt loaf. After baking and cooling it down, cut the vegan loaf into slices, and place them in a plastic bag in the freezer. You can store them for up to one month. To serve, simply defrost the slices in the microwave or oven.
-3/4 cups of unsweetened almond milk
-1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
-1 pinch of salt
-1/4 cup of cane sugar
-1 lemon zest
-1/2 tsp of lemon juice
-1/2 cup of fresh blueberries
-2 cups of spelt flour
-2 teaspoons of baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
-2 tablespoons of melted vegan butter or vegetable oil
1. Mix the vegan blueberry yogurt with the almond milk, the melted vegan butter, the lemon juice and the vanilla extract.
2. Add the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, salt, lemon zest, baking powder and baking soda) and mix well.
3. Add most of the blueberries (set aside some blueberries to pour later over the mixture) and mix.
4. Pour the mixture in a silicone mould or loaf pan previously floured and buttered with vegan butter and sprinkle on top the rest of the blueberries.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180° C for approximately 45 minutes until golden on the outside.
6. Remove from the oven, let it cool down, and cut into slices to serve.